Skip to main content

Solid Waste - Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I call to start service?
To start your residential service, call California Waste Recovery Systems at 916-354-4154.

How do I change cart sizes?
To change cart size, call California Waste Recovery Systems Customer Service Center at 916-354-4154.

What cart sizes are available?

Rancho Murieta Residents have several cart sizes to choose from. For trash service, there are three choices: 38 gallon, 64 gallon, and 96 gallon. Trash carts are serviced weekly.

For Recycling and for Yard and Garden service, there are two sizes available: 64 gallon and 96 gallon. Each is serviced bi-weekly, on alternative weeks.

Can I put extra Yard & Garden materials out for collection?

Each resident can have FREE collection of extra yard trimmings during the months of November, December, January, and February each year. You do not need to call; just have it bagged or bundled and placed next to your cart on your Yard & Garden service day.

If one Yard & Garden cart is not enough, you may request a second cart at no additional charge.

What is Bulky Waste clean up?

Rancho Murieta Residents can enjoy one (1) Large Item Pickup per year as of July 1, 2023. To schedule a Large Item Pickup, residents can call the Customer Service Team from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to schedule a Large Item Pickup by dialing 916-354-4154. You may place up to 6 cubic yards of material at the curb on your service day. 

What materials are acceptable for the Recycling cart? For the Yard & Garden cart?

Click here for a list of acceptable items for recycling carts and yard & garden carts.

How do I dispose of medication?

Click here for information on medication disposal.Click here for information on sharps/needle disposal.

How do I dispose of used motor oil?

Each resident is entitled to FREE used oil and oil filter collection. This collection service is available weekly and California Waste Recovery Systems provides the containers. Just call 916-354-4154 and ask for the containers to be delivered to your home. Put the full container(s) out next to the cart on your regular collection day and California Waste Recovery System will pick it up and leave you an empty container.

How do I dispose of used cooking oil?

Similar to the Used Motor Oil collection, any cooking oil produced for food preparation and consumption purposes that is no longer useful because of use, extended storage or spillage can be set out for collection. Just call Cal-Waste at 354-4154 and they will deliver empty containers for your used cooking oil. Then set out the full containers on your next regular collection day. (Used Cooking Oil shall not contain water, soapsuds, and/or food debris.)

 How do I dispose of electronic waste (e-waste)?

Cal-Waste now provides e-waste collection, cell phone collection, household battery collection, and universal waste collection.