What is Senate Bill 272?
In addition to the Public Records Act, local government agencies must create an "Enterprise System Catalog". The Catalog shall disclose a list of the enterprise systems utilized by the agency.
SB 272 was enacted in 2015 and added Section 6270.5 to the Government Code. The bill requires local agencies, such as Rancho Murieta Community Services District, to catalog and display online the Enterprise Systems used by such agencies in the conduct of their services.
"Enterprise system" means a software application or computer system that: (a) collects, stores, exchanges, and analyzes information that the agency uses that (a) is a mulit-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public; and (b) a system of record which means a system that serves as an original source of data within the agency.
An Enterprise System does not include any of the following:
- Information Technology security systems, including firewalls and other cyber-security systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Section 6254.19 of the Government Code.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges or analyzes.